The great divide between traditional and modern world.
- The rate of population growth
- Malthusian trap
- Finite number of stuff produced.
- Population increases, less food available, population drops.
- The global Europe.
- Political revolutions
- Democracies, nations, liberal.
- Human mastery over environment.
- Identity, status.
Traditional V Modern world.
|Natural energy like wind, animal power.||Manmade energy|
|Rural communities||Urban communities|
|Income is static.||Growth and surplus|
|Unstable lives||Stable lives|
|Communities stable||Communities unstable|
|Local identity/culture||Mass identity/culture|
|Weak kingdoms||Strong states.|
Why the great divide?
- Sudden or slow?
- Material or cultural?
- why England?
World of 1760
- Consolidation of large land empires in eurasia.
- Discovery of new world
- East asia
- Ming dynasty
- Powerful, but not interested in oceanic expansion.
- Falls to ching dynasty
- South asia
- Mughal empire.
- Rise of Maratha empire
- Southwest Asia
- Ottoman empire.
- Very fragmented.
- France, spane, austrian, and english empires.
- Rise of prussia.
- Europian Atlantic empires
- Situation in Atlantic World
- Goods - sugar, coffee, silver, gold
- Money - silver, gold, trade
- New markets for goods, specially luxury goods.
- Religous tolerance.
- Science - for navigating, manufacturing.
- Fiance - financing of invasions on to atlantic world.
- Labor - slavery
- Protection - professional armies and navies.
- Fiscal - Millitary state.
- Millitary engineering - Fortifications, Navies etc
- Professional, drilled armies.
- Professional staff which worked in planning, supply chain to support wars.
- Unstable Europe, leads to continuous improvement in millitary technologies.
- Printing press.
- What do they value?
- Asians more inward, Europeans more outward.
- What do they fear?
Struggle for India
- Battle of plasey establishes British empire on Indian subcontinent.
- British won war for north america.
- Problem of colonists in North america
- Land restrictions
- Trade restrictions
- Taxes - Army