Expand your network
- Find and meet people outside of your regular circle of contacts.
- One lunch per week with a colleague you don’t know.
- Join professional association or a sports club.
- Volunteer for non profit.
Most relationships are mutually dependent on each other, where each person depends on the other person a lot and to same degree.
- Resources - budget, personnel, space, information
- Cooperation - faster response, approval, help.
You don’t build a network, you earn it by delivering value to your contacts.
- Acceptance/inclusion - providing closeness and friendship.
- Personal support.
- Advancement and visibility.
- Reputation. - endorsements.
- Social capital - introductions.
Personal related currencies
- Learning and growth.
- Self concept. - compliments, gratitude.
Bring energy into relationships
- Show concern for others.
- Connect with people beyond job roles.
- Always focus on possibilities and not just limitations.
- Maintain high level of cognitive and physical engagement.