Renaissance Learning and Unlocking Your Potential I
“During learning process, your brain restructures understanding from time to time, causing you to temporarily find making progress quite difficult.”
How to become better learner
- Physical exercise! - helps creating new neurones in hippocampus
- Practice is important
- Create (visual) metaphors and/or models.
- Chunking - spaced repetition.
- Best learning is done by doing and practicing, not just from reading an explanation.
- Einstellung - previous ideas block new ideas.
- Deliberate practice, specially on the most difficult topics.
- Taking responsibility for your own learning (and not leaving it to teacher).
- Work/learn with others and not in isolation.
- Testing, recall tests, in important.
- Sleep is as important as everything else if not more.
“We can make significant changes in our brain (neural structures) by changing the way we think”
Value of teamwork:
Research indicates that right hemisphere helps gain a big picture perspective. Where as left can make you over confident. Focused mode is more left hemisphere than right and hence working intensively on a problem with out allowing diffused mode and right hemisphere to kick in can lead to wrong learning/solutions.
Tricks for doing better on tests:
- Prepare checklist by Richard Felder before the test and review it.
- Start with hard problems, but don’t get stuck on them.
- Attitude before taking the test.
- Focus on breathing if you are stressed.
- Cover up answers for multiple choice.
- Get plenty of sleep day before the test.